With restricted travel and enforced social distancing, Covid-19 has definitely made 2020 the year of the "Staycation". While you may be postponing that European vacation or Disney cruise, there's plenty of fun to be had right at home this summer.
The key to a successful staycation is planning. Don't wait until your vacation week to brainstorm ideas. Pick up some supplies, whether it's some margarita mix, a Scrabble game, or an inflatable pool for the kids. Order that new beach read that you've been hearing about, and make a Netflix binge-watch list. Surf the internet for virtual tours and kid-friendly activities.
The best part of a staycation: no costly tours, no packing, and no crowded airports!
A few suggestions for summer staycation inspiration:
1. Check off that dream list of travel locales.
A gondola ride through the canals of Venice, a visit to the Eiffel Tower, the Sistine Chapel, or the Great Barrier Reef. Visit Mickey and friends at the Disney parks. It's possible to go virtually anywhere in the world with Google Earth VR.
2. Tour a museum.
There is a world of art, science, and culture online to explore from the comfort of home. Tour the displays at the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History, or see the Egyptian mummies at the British Museum. Art lovers can head to Paris to explore the Louvre or experience the galleries at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
3. Enjoy an online concert.
Though your favorite performers may not be touring this summer, many have scheduled free livestream performances for summer 2020. Check out YouTube, Apple Music, and Facebook for livestream performances, or to relive classic concerts.
4. Discover the outdoors.
The warm and sunny days of summer are the perfect time to rediscover nature.
- Backyard camping is a fun family activity. Pitch a tent in the backyard, grill some hot dogs, and treat the kids to s'mores.
- Discover local hiking trails, parks, and nature preserves.
5. Explore your passions.
Do what brings you joy.
- Learn to crochet, or finally attempt that sourdough loaf.
- Create a beautiful photo book with all those photos taking up space on your iPhone.
- History buff? The American Battlefield Trust offers virtual tours of historic Civil War battleground. Head to Gettysburg and follow in the footsteps of those who fought in the battles at Devil's Den, Little Round Top, and Cemetery Ridge.
6. Movie Night.
- Hunker down with a big bowl of buttered popcorn and binge watch all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones.
- Re-watch classic summer flicks like Jaws and Independence Day.
7. Cool off.
- Invest in an inexpensive inflatable pool or just let everyone run through the sprinklers.
- Add some pizazz to summer cocktail hour with some new innovative craft cocktails, a fruity sangria or a craft beer tasting.
8. Dine al fresco.
- Spread a blanket for a simple backyard picnic.
- Get fancy: order some restaurant takeout and dine outdoors in style.
- Plan a themed dinner for each day and try new international cuisine.
9. Go old school.
Pull out the board games. Have a marathon Monopoly game, rediscover old favorites like Clue and Life or family-friendly card games like Go Fish and War.
10. Do nothing at all.
Just because you've got a staycation plan does not mean that you've got to fill every moment with activities. When was the last time that you spent an entire day in your pajamas? Sleep in. Re-read a classic novel. Sit in your backyard and really listen to nature.
Enjoy your staycation! You may even decide to staycation all over again next summer!